Wednesday 18 April 2018

10/10

                


Ten Out of Ten





humour, language, text, type, drawing, rude, visual, offensive, laughter, odd, 

There are a lot of things I have learned, both about my practice and myself, during this module. Researching into a topic this close to my heart and practice was risky but insightful- I feared it would change the way I valued my own work if I compared myself to others too much. However, I have really enhanced my understanding of compositionally and content-wise, what makes a piece of written illustration funny.  Spending a lot of time fussing about content and not enough time playing around with trial-and-error, I managed to create a lot of work that I was NOT proud of, however when my process started to get going, there was a lot of trial and error- bouncing ideas off friends and peers to get a gist of what they found funny in my work, but more importantly, what they didn’t find funny, or, a quite regular occurrence, didn’t understand, or ‘get’- I realised that I wasn’t explaining myself well enough on the page, and remedied this by changing the subjects being drawn to a simpler version, or a more amusing version (too big, too small, wrong place), by playing around with text, consistency, and general style of the work. Though not coming to any finalised visual conclusions in my journal, I have discovered a lot about my practice and my style of working- I found myself needing to be engaging with surroundings but still to be in my own creative headspace to create funny work- something I lacked doing whilst creating the majority of my visual journal. Though I would have liked to finalise this project with a series of outcomes, I feel content that I used this project as a medium to explore my own practice, learn about myself and off others, and just generally experiment, play around, and enjoy the work I created. The research I have done is definitely going to influence my work in the future as I am better informed, have more understanding about my own practice and can push my work even further to develop my own style and voice as an illustrator. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

PUBLICATION- While the stress tears are drying on my face, let me talk you through the making of my publication. I have chosen to prints a...