Monday 9 December 2019

I always knew in this project that it had to be focussed toward making work that i wanted to make. The struggle i alway have had in the past was doing things that I though was expected of me, assigning it as homework to myself, and putting it off until last minute. This always resulted in shoddy work that I wasn't proud of. HOWEVER, I struggle to work under pressure, am a quick worker, and thrive off imperfection and low-brow methods. After such a long, and frankly, unproductive, summer, i knew that i had to work to my strengths and get back into the swing of it. There was no hesitation in knowing what i wanted to make: i knew i wanted to expand on my ceramics. I wanted to tie this in to something more personal and storytelling, but i didn't quite know how to do that yet. I started about thinking about mythology- it's an interest of mine, but i'm by nonmeans an expert. However, it didn't feel like it had much relevancy to me as a practitioner, and i wanted to develop my own narrative anyway. I looked at what meant a lot to me as a person, and recalled upon the longing i've had for several years to document my memories surrounding my Nan, and document her stories too. At this early stage, it was about linking the personal nature of my memories to the higher body of mythology, and somehow incorporate ceramics. That's where i started, and its a good amount to play with, with lots of little nooks and crannies to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PUBLICATION- While the stress tears are drying on my face, let me talk you through the making of my publication. I have chosen to prints a...